Saturday, March 15, 2008

Level One Conversion

Brad, the missions minister, talks of "level one missions involvement" as becoming interested in helping someone. That's where I started when I watched the Nyaka video for the first time. Honestly, before that, mission work was for other people, those who were more rugged, adventuresome individuals. I wanted to go to help the teachers better facilitate coping as the kids deal with the death of one or both parents.

As with any intensive ministry experience, once you become immersed in it, you realize how much of a two-way street it is. Let me own that statement (as the counselor in me dictates). Once I got over there, I quickly discovered it was NOT about what I could offer them. The music and the teaching opportunities were vehicles to developing relationships. They were connection points with the kids. While I hope some of it "stuck," (and I think they might be able to name a purpose or two if asked now), I would love to go back sooner rather than later and spend some more 1:1 time with the kids.

I think back to the times when they were having breakfast or lunch, and I just sat back and observed. I didn't want to intrude on their social time with friends. (Otto was great at going up to them and initiating conversations). They also watched me from afar during breakfast. I did take some books out with me a couple of times to read them a story if they were interested, and I did with a few who sat down with me. Most, though, were quiet and shy. I wish now I'd felt more comfortable just approaching them without any kind of tool or connection point--just a genuine interest in who they are, how school is going for them, and how they're coping with all the circumstances in their lives. Why did I need the crutch of books, teaching, or song leading? I guess it's the teacher/administrator in me, trying to be "effective." I want to go back and be "effective" at building relationships that are going to encourage them in their walk with the Lord and pursuing the best education for their skills and abilities. I've often had to remind myself that ministry is not about curriculum, programs, and events, but about PEOPLE.

What a truly rich experience it was. The kids, the school, the teachers/staff/supporters, the culture, the rural living, the villages and cities, the gorgeous mountain scenery, the rugged road trips, the animals, the team of SOCC guys (not to be confused with the animals), the economy, their perspective, their faith--all of it has profoundly affected me. I'm still sorting it out.

Over spring break, I have allowed myself the pleasure of reading a novel. A rare occasion, honestly, as I'm often reading something related to work. I think I'm in the middle of 2 about leadership and communication, discussing 2 others with different individuals or groups, and about to start 3 others for ministry reasons. You'll be seeing quotes from the novel in the next few blog entries, because, of all things, it's about a woman going on a humanitarian mission trip to an orphanage in Peru. It's called The Sunflower.

"The surest way to minimize your own burdens is to carry someone else's."
Paul Cook's Diary from The Sunflower



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucy--you ARE going back!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Yup, I think Lisa may be right... you'll be going back! :)And I bet this time you won't feel you need "any kind of tool or connection point--just a genuine interest in who they are."

Your letters are beautiful. I love the one Brynne received. I should frame it or something.

Love the quotes. Way to read for FUN! :) I'm going to treat myself to some fiction this month, I think!