Thursday, February 21, 2008

"Facilities" Questions


It appears that one thing weighing heavily on some of my friends' minds about my trip is how rugged it got when it comes to practical matters like restroom facilities. They know that was one concern I had since I'm not the primitive camping type (startling revelation for some, I know). I would have to say that either there was some major coincidence about the timing or God was again faithful in taking care of me in another manner on this trip.

After arriving at the Entebbe airport late Wednesday evening (I'll have to give you the travel schedule sometime, too), our driver, Stephen, picked us up and took us to Hotel Equatoria in Kampala-about an hour drive. We ate dinner there (chicken and fries :) ) and then went to bed. Recognizing that this might be the last chance for a hot shower and flush facilities, we all aimed to take advantage of it before we left in the morning for a day's drive to the school. I was the only one that had hot water for a shower. The "boys"were quite jealous when I reported it to them at breakfast.

The way the lunch and fuel stops worked out, I, unlike the boys, could get along without a stop along the road (which Stephen labelled "a short call" and they adopted that term). The longest time frame with unavailable "facilities" was the last leg of the trip to the school that evening. Stephen kept saying, "We're almost there." I learned he would say this before I would have on any trip. His idea of being close to the destination and mine were a little different. By the time we arrived at the guest house that evening, I was ready to live the semi-rugged life--even looking forward to a latrine visit (which turned out to be an outhouse with a toilet frame to sit on). I was prepared with my flashlight and the roll of toilet paper that stayed in my purse the whole trip. When we got out of the van, Brittany, (the I.U. grad who was there to teach English for 6 months) greeted us. I asked about the latrine and she said words that were an unexpected blessing to my ears, "Latrine? You don't have to use the latrine. A plumber just left 2 hours ago after installing a flush toilet just down the hall." Are you for real?? I wondered. Sweet!!!! Wonderful! Fantastic! This experience was already going to be easier than I anticipated. Thank you God!!!

We did use the latrine some during the day, expecially the day the house ran out of water because a farmer up the line was diverting water onto his property. That was addressed and we were back in business. I learned that it was good to kick the latrine before using it, to dislodge the flies and avoid an improper "buzz."

We did travel other days in some rugged territory, but it always worked out that restaurant and gas station stops were enough for me to stay civilized.

As far as showers, cold was the only option from the tap.. . . . . .but. . .. .. . .. ..the people who hosted us at the house-who cooked for us and did our laundry, went out every morning and afternoon and boiled 5-10 gallons of hot water over an open fire for us to use. We would then pour some in a plastic tub, step into the shower stall, "sponge" warm water over us, lather up, and rinse off either with more warm water or cold. I'm glad to report that I was able to keep up the leg shaving routine the whole time too. I had purchased a battery powered razor just in case. I know, some of you might not be able to fathom the lengths one must go to to appropriately consider all possible hygienic needs in a third world country. For a prissy girl like me, it was important to keep the legs smooth for the dresses, shorts, and capri wardrobe. It was also important, since I was on a hair appliance fast (at one point, I nearly suffered from delirium tremens), that make-up and specifically, lip stick was regularly applied to at least look like I'm trying to look my best. Hair options were the head band or pony tail (although, my hair was just long enough for a high one. I looked like a sumo wrestler because it was a short tail!). Rumors that I kissed my blow dryer and straightener (and facilities after disinfection) upon my arrival home are completely unfounded.
More to come as time allows. I promise the next post will contain a bit more depth :)
Lucy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I know you to well! This one had me laughing so hard the tears are rolling down my cheeks. I had visions of you!!! LOL! But it was all worth it!