Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sun "burn" ?????






The first Sunday we were there, we made the 2 1/2 hour, trek (45-ish miles) from Nyaka School to the Kutamba building site for the dedication. Kutamba is the second AIDS orphans school of what is hoped to be many schools like Nyaka. That was the most beautiful, most adventurous 4 wheel drive ride I have ever taken. It was our first exposure to the green, lush, mountain terrain of southwestern Uganda. We wound around, up, down, back and forth on hillsides, often with very little shoulder. It definitely was not for the faint of heart (or anyone with a fear of heights!) In many places, the road had washed out and 4-wheel drive was the only way to get through. Our driver was very skilled in navigating this this terrain. We were grateful!


Behind me in the picture are several boys who showed a curiosity about this mzungu (white person). We were there on this hillside for a couple of hours during the dedication ceremony, festivities, and pictures. Figuring this light skin was on the way to a significant burn, I got out my sunscreen and started to apply it to my arms, face and neck. The boys were walking past me, gave me the strangest look, and stopped to watch. I tried to explain in simple English with some actions that the hot sun makes my light skin "burn." They giggled and walked on. Later, they were sitting behind me as I talked to the woman on my left. They were having a conversation, but not in English. She said, "The boys behind us are still talking about your skin." I said, "Really??" After she confirmed it, I turned around and extended my arm to invite them to touch light skin. They were hesitant at first, but then all of them did eventually. We sat there talking a while longer. Right before we left, I turned around to them and pushed on the skin on my arm for them to see the pink color it had gained. They giggled some more. That was not a usual sight for them!! They were intrigued. I wondered later if their understanding of the word, "burn" may have complicated things. Perhaps they thought I was preventing my skin from catching on fire! No wonder they were curious!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am totally amazed about how green it is in your photo!