Tuesday, January 15, 2008

From step of faith to step of faith

Today in our staff meeting, we had a conversation about the progression from seeker to believer to seasoned believer and how some get sidetracked and stalled in advanced faith. How does one's faith continue to grow after years of church, small groups, Bible studies, service, etc.? I believe that part of keeping one's faith fresh and vibrant is related to an economic principle I recall from college (which I tried to leave in Econ class, but apparently it has other real-life application). We talked about the law of diminishing returns. If you crave a Big Mac, then the first bite is going to be extra super delicious, and each one following will a little less so. Another way to look at it is thinking about thrill seeking. One graduates from the Merry go round to the kiddie coaster to the Spider and Scrambler to amusement park coasters. Then you look forward to the new one that's higher, faster, and has more loops. The thrill, risk, and challenge have to increase to keep our interest.
I heard Tim LaHaye speak once at the American Association of Christian Counselors' Conference. He talked about faith growing as a process and how we go from step of faith to step of faith, increasing our risk and dependence on God. The last couple of times I listened to it, it really resonated with me. I want to grow in faith! I love inviting God to show off what a faithful and personal God he really is. And He always does.
Speaking of increasing our risk and dependence, there is a line in the book I'm reading In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day: Are you living your life in a way that is worth telling stories about?
I was speaking with someone who was considering a mission trip experience, but decided now was not the time. Now, I'm not doubting the fact that they prayed about it and heard a "not now" answer, but I can tell you that I do not want to miss one opportunity God has in store for me to step out in faith and live an adventure with Him. Life is too short and too many things can happen between now and the "perfect" time to go.
I want to live a life worth telling stories about----how about you???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's going to happen! You are going!!!!!