Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Faith + Prayer + Patience = The Rest

As I reflected on yesterday's post, I realized it may seem out of order to explain the faith and calling thing at this point. The reason it came up is that I keep arguing with myself about how much more to do to raise the funds to go. Is God going to be faithful? How much of this is my responsibility? Do I send out more support letters? Do I get another job--like a seasonal one at Kohl's (dangerous) to make money that would specifically go in the fund? Do I go sell plasma (I've been told it's a fairly lucrative venture)? I don't want to be like the person stranded on top of their house during a flood, praying to be rescued, who passes up the boat and the helicopter and then is mad at God because they're stuck.
It reminds me of Peter's rescue in Acts 12. It's one of my favorite memories of a sermon from when I was a teenager. I'll never forget it. It was given by Claudia's dad, for those who know her. He made the point that in verse 7 and 8, the angel tells Peter to "get up. . .put on your clothes and sandals. . . wrap your cloak around you and follow me." Now, we all know that through divine intervention, Peter could have been prepped to leave without doing anything himself (or zapped right to the door of Mary's house for that matter), but the angel told him to do what he could do. The angel, then, took care of what Peter could not take care of--getting past guards and through closed gates. The big faith lesson is to do what we are able to in a situation and let God handle the rest. Define "the rest" please!

No comments: